Tuesday 17 November 2015

Hair Matter with Ozzichiq

Hey guys! So I'm back with another natural hair enthusiast, Ozzichiq! Here's what she had to say about her natural hair lifestyle.


     



       Who are you, tell us a little about yourself?
    My name Is Ngozi or ozzichiq on social media. I am down to earth and fun loving most of the
    time…lol.

    Why did you decide to go natural?
My decision to go natural was my solution to my problem. I was tired of frequent trips to the salon to relax my hair and having to always go home in pain. I started questioning if all the pain was necessary (maybe a little was; like braiding your hair etc. but not every time). At a point I dreaded getting my hair done. I had long hair down to my back but because of relaxer damage, the texture was coarse. The color was brown/black (looked chestnut to almost bleached at a time) started recovering but I was tired. Watching TV growing up, I also always questioned why black girls had full fros/curls. Are we not similar in some sense? My curiosity lead me to watching YouTube videos where I discovered the term natural. Growing up in Nigeria, girls I had seen with looser curled hair were mostly from the North. I just thought they were blessed that way and the rest of us had to deal. Anyway, realized relaxers were optional and so I said to myself that if it is not necessary then I am not interested.

     How long have you been natural?
About 5 years and 2 months now.

     Did you transition or big chop?
I did both.
   
     Why did you decide to do both?
I was going to transition. I tried it for about 3-5 months. It was painful dealing with the two completely opposite and different textures and so I cut it and braided for a while.

What is your hair regime?
Currently still in University and because of the limited free time available to me (during term time), I try to be as simple as possible. So routine wash, deep conditions, protein treatments, trims, braid outs, twist outs and use of bendy rollers.

     What products do you use?
I tend to stick to a product when I find out it works for my hair and then tweak stuff a little at times to observe results. My day-one products have been from Giovanni, natural oils (I mix them up depending on the state of my hair) and definitely shea butter. I recently incorporated Shea moisture products in my regime.

    How many times do you wash?
    At least once a week or once in two weeks.

    What are the cheapest places to get these products?
In Nigeria, I am glad that the market is opening more towards natural hair but my usual store is the kinky apothecary. My mum helps me get original shea butter (unadulterated) and for the oils I find that the purer you go the more expensive they are. Where I get my oils from differ, for example I get my coconut oil from amazon and maybe jojoba oil from Akoma online.

           What is the most important product for a naturalista to own? 
           Coconut oil, leave-in conditioner and water!!

    What’s your take on detangling, is there an easier way to do it?
To be honest it’s my worst part of my wash routine but it has to be done. I do not think there is an easier way but individually you just have to find what works best for you.

    Most people i've talked to about natural hair complain about headaches while combing, does that apply to you as well ?
Personally, I think the use of comb depends on your hair texture. I have not used a comb for about 3 years now because my hair is so tightly curled that it gets stuck in it most times and an attempt to comb breaks my hair (also painful), so I settled for finger detangling. It takes longer but more beneficial in my opinion. It was annoying when I first started but once I got the hang of it, that was it for me. I also only detangle when I wash (advisable when wet and saturated with conditioner because you have less breakage/snaps and less painful) My hair is not meant to be bone straight and accepting this made things easier. If your hair has looser curls that a comb can go through then carry on. You have to decide for yourself your best method of detangling e.g. wide tooth combs only, use of tangle teezers etc.
  
     Are there supplements to take for hair growth, because I’ve heard quite a few naturalistas talk about supplements?
I have heard of a couple of supplements but I don’t take any.

     What’s your advice for someone who wants to go natural but doesn’t want the stress of detangling?
 I am sorry it is just something you have to deal with. Nothing good comes easy.

     Is there a platform where people can follow your daily hair routine ?
      Yes, I recently started a YouTube channel (Ozzichiq) to show people how I take care                     of/manage my hair in hope that it helps naturalistas out there. You can also follow me on               Instagram @Ozzichiq.
      Thanks xxxx






 Hope you guys enjoyed my chat with Ozzichiq and someone is making that decision to go natural. Is there something you would like to know about going natural? Just drop your message in the comment section or simply send me an email.

XO...MM


Let's Connect

Post a Comment

Designed by Eve @MangoBlogShop